The Book of Mirrors - E.O. Chirovici

The Book of Mirrors - Eugen Ovidiu Chirovici

A manuscript of a 30 year old murder finds its way to a literary agent. He is immediately intrigued by this true crime story. The victim was a famous psychology professor and the murder is still unsolved. Unfortunately the author just sent a part of the manuscript. The end is missing. The literary agent tries to contact the author just to learn that he recently died. The rest of the manuscript is nowhere to be found. So the agent asks a reporter to dig around in this old story. The reporter manages to speak to some of the people who were involved then, but everyone tells the story a little bit different.

I will not give away too much of the plot, it will spoil it for future readers. The story is told a bit aloof. Told from three different people, you never get close to them. The focus is on the story and what happened. The murdered professor was engaged in human memory and the book is also about how people remember things different and maybe change their own memory on purpose. This is quite interesting. The story is full of twists and turns and I was hooked from the first page. And like the author said in the epilogue: this is not a whodunit, but a whydunit”. And “remembrance of the things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were”.

I enjoyed this book very much. A special Thank You to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.