The Hatching - Ezekiel Boone

The Hatching: A Novel - Ezekiel Boone

I hate spiders. Like a lot of other readers I was afraid of reading this book. But good reviews kept popping up everywhere so my curiosity won over my fear. And I must say I wasn’t that bad. Even if I kept looking every minute if there was no spider sitting on my shoulder and feeling itchy all the time, it was readable for me.

Everywhere on the planet strange things are happening. China throws a nuke on its own territory, a cargo ship runs unmanned into LA Harbor. What sounded like a joke at first becomes reality: a new –or rather an old- species of spiders aims to take over world domination. Together with a ton of characters , from the female president of the US to a retired man walking his dog, we learn how the spider situation escalates. There is also Melanie, an expert of spiders, who kept telling everybody her whole life that spiders are nothing to be afraid of, they are just hanging around and catching mosquitos, which is a good thing. But she has to reconsider that opinion. These spiders are different than any other of the 35000 species currently living on this planet.

This story is a rollercoaster. It is a fast read. There are a bunch of characters, some of them appear only for a couple of pages, but everybody gets a full background story. That makes them more real but it slows down. You have to read several pages about the family of a boy you never met again after that chapter where he did his duty as a character and describes for us a scene. This was sometimes a little bit too much.

I used to read sciences thrillers a couple of years ago. This one reminded me of them. I liked them once and a stopped reading them for some reason. But I enjoyed reading something similar. I enjoyed reading this book. The end is open and there is no conclusion. I have heard this will be a trilogy, so I am looking forward to reading the next books.

I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review