Mark Billingham - Die of Shame

Die of Shame - Mark Billingham

From British thriller master Mark Billingham, a recent finalist for the Crime Writers' Association Dagger in the Library, Die of Shame is a chilling story of addiction, subterfuge, and murder.

Every Monday evening, six people gather in a smart North London house to talk about shame. A respected doctor, a well-heeled housewife, a young male prostitute . . . they could not be more different. All they have in common is a history of addiction. But when one of the group is murdered, it quickly becomes apparent that someone else in that circle is responsible. The investigation is hampered by the strict confidentiality that binds these individuals and their therapist together, which makes things difficult for Detective Inspector Nicola Tanner, a woman who can appreciate the desire to keep personal matters private. If she is to find the killer, she will need to use less obvious means. The question is: What could be shameful enough to cost someone their life? And how do you find the truth when secrets, lies, and denial are second nature to all of your suspects?

„Die of Shame“  was a mixed bag for me. I had some difficulties finding into the story with its “now” and “than”. Stupid me understood it finally after the first third. So I was confused at the beginning.

I really liked the concept of the story but it is a slow read and hardly a thriller. Unfortunately I almost immediately figured out how the killer was. I don’t like that. I prefer to be surprised at the end.

The story is well build and I could see those five people gathering every Monday evening at their therapist’s house for a group session.  I had had some problems to get into the police storyline. I could not connect with DI Tanner and her background.  So I was sometimes bored and sometimes I enjoyed reading it.  I am a bit disappointed that I did not liked the book more because the idea is great. It’s just written a bit confusing and dull. I loved Billingham’s “Rush of Blood”, but I can only rate “Die of Shame” with 3 Stars.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an  honest review