The Girls - Lisa Jewell

The Girls - Lisa Jewell

Dark secrets, a devastating mystery and the games people play: the gripping new novel from the bestselling author of The House We Grew Up In and The Third Wife.

You live on a picturesque communal garden square, an oasis in urban London where your children run free, in and out of other people’s houses.

You’ve known your neighbours for years and you trust them. Implicitly.

You think your children are safe.

But are they really?

Midsummer night: a thirteen-year-old girl is found unconscious in a dark corner of the garden square. What really happened to her? And who is responsible?

„The Girls“ is a beautiful written family drama. But as well it is a psychologically thriller. When Clare and her two daughters move into this little neighborhood community with its communal garden the balance within the friendship of the children and teenagers living there, changes. At the start we learn that one of Claires daughters was attacked in the garden. Then the book goes ‘before’ the incident and the tensions begins to build slowly. Suddenly some people begin to think about how good they know each other and even their own family.

I was caught by this little nice community. One should think that their children are safe within this garden. But the author shows us that the children are caught in their own world with their own problems and secrets and that they are not safe at all. And the danger does not come from outside.

The characters in this book are all very well developed. But none of them is really likeable. Maybe Pip, Claires youngest daughter. And I thought Adele, one of the residents, was nice. But when the story developes, I was not so sure about Adele any more. All the characters got issues, secrets. And in Adele you can see that sometimes closing your eyes for the flaws of your beloved is the easiest way for some people.

The end comes quick and it may not satisfy everybody. I found it a bit disappointing. But somehow it suites the story and their characters.

I enjoyed reading this book. Maybe it was a little bit too slow in the middle when Adele tries to find out what happened. But the story is so gripping , the characters felt so real. The story reveals so unique I would recommend this book to everyone who loves dark storys about families and secrets