We Are Monsters - Brian Kirk

We Are Monsters - Brian Kirk

The Apocalypse has come to the Sugar Hill mental asylum.

He’s the hospital’s newest, and most notorious, patient—a paranoid schizophrenic who sees humanity’s dark side.

Luckily he’s in good hands. Dr. Eli Alpert has a talent for healing tortured souls. And his protégé is working on a cure for schizophrenia, a drug that returns patients to their former selves. But unforeseen side effects are starting to emerge. Forcing prior traumas to the surface. Setting inner demons free.

Monsters have been unleashed inside the Sugar Hill mental asylum. They don’t have fangs or claws. They look just like you or me

A special thank to NetGalley for this copy in exchange fot an honest review.

I am sorry to say that this book did not work for me.  It lasted half of the pages until you get to the things the blurb is talking about. And when the “scary” things begin to happen, it is all weird and strange and never really scary. Somehow it was all too much and over the top but on the other side it was not quite enough.

The writing is not bad. Sometimes it is quite good and the characters are all unique. The setting is interesting. It shows how terrible mental illness can be and how difficult it is for doctors to treat it.  I suppose the author did his research work very well. But in my opinion that’s the problem. The book is too deep into this and into its struggling and disturbed characters that it got lost on the story. And it is a mess of a story. I will not say too much about the reveals of those strange horror things that begin finally to happen after many pages of dialogs and flashbacks from the characters. I really did not quite understand what was going on. And the characters didn’t either. Everybody has problems and they have to face them. Unfortunately the author explains everything to us over and over. Each character has a kind of catharsis.  And we got it explained until the least detail. Only how this all happens, how it could happen and what it is all about is left noticeable unexplained. That was the point when I began to skip passages.

I did not have high expectations but nevertheless was a bit disappointed. The narration is not bad but too slow, not really focused and the story is part serious and part weird and unfortunately it is not a horror book. I was about to quit but I wanted to finish it and see what it all was about. But to be honest I lost interest.